Changing your eating habits doesn't have to be a challenge. A few simple substitutes will do the trick!
There is a lot riding on your lunch. This mid-day meal is responsible for giving you the fuel to push through a long afternoon at work or school. When done right, you will feel energized, refreshed, and healthy. Poor choices at lunchtime often result in a sluggish, unproductive latter half of the day. Fortunately, you don't have to make drastic alterations to you typical lunch menu to change things around. These simple substitutions will get you on the right track with ease.
- Go for whole grains. When you're putting together a sandwich, use whole wheat bread instead of white. Make sure you're checking the ingredient list to ensure the bread is truly 100 percent whole grains, with no white flour hiding out.
- Pick low-fat dairy products. Cheese and yogurt are great sources of calcium and protein, but they can also be filled with unhealthy fats and cholesterol. Look for low-fat labels for both of these lunch staples.
- Use unprocessed meats. Many sandwich meats are filled with sodium. Trade out deli meats for fresh cuts.
- Replace chips with veggies. Carrots, celery, and broccoli can be a lot more satisfying than you think, especially when enjoyed with the right dip.
- Switch sweets for fruits. There is no reason make dessert a regular part of your lunch. These treats should be reserved for special occasion. Satisfy your sweet tooth with some berries, oranges slices, or another favorite fruit.
Creating healthy eating habits is great, but it's always best to consult a doctor before making any huge changes to your diet. If you need a physician referral, we can help you out! Give us a call at 1-855-477-DRMC (3762).