Keep travel an enriching experience by staying well.
Summer is almost here, and a lot of us take advantage of the warm weather to visit family or explore new places. What could keep us from having a blast? Illness or injury can, so here are five tips to keep travel fun.
1. Don't forget to hydrate. Bring water with you whenever possible. If you'll be drinking alcohol, remember to follow beverages with equal amounts of pure water. You can also up your hydration with summer favorites like watermelon, cucumber and celery.
2. Pack a mini first aid kit. The following are essential to pack, especially if you're traveling abroad:
- Your preferred pain killer
- Sunburn relief like aloe vera lotion
- Moist towelettes
- Bug repellant for the skin
- Diabetes equipment
- A back-up pair of glasses or contact lenses, if needed
- Prescription medication, remembering to take into account possible flight delays or unexpected excursions
3. Keep up your fitness regimen. Exercise is crucial to our health. Although you might have less time to work out, don't let your routine break down altogether. Instead, plan ahead in order to integrate fitness into your travel plans. You'll never regret your trip afterwards.
4. Make sun protection a priority. Skin cancer is the leading cancer among Americans. Apply sunscreen containing an SPF of 15 or greater 30 minutes before going outside and repeat every two hours or directly after exposure to water or sweat.
5. Be picky about footwear. When walking is a major part of your travel plans, foot pain can ruin your experience. Stick with sneakers specifically made for walking or, if going for a fashionable look, research which brands of shoes provide proper arch support and shock absorption.
Check in with your family doctor before heading out for a summer of fun. Some far destinations like Asia or South America require vaccinations, and your physician can advise you about these. To request a physician referral, call Denton Regional Medical Center at 1-855-477-DRMC (3762).