Learn how you can enjoy a safe Fourth of July before, during and after you use fireworks.
Are you looking forward to celebrating the Fourth of July this year? We hope so, but we would like to help you do it safely. Almost 9,000 people are injured annually due to consumer fireworks use. While we recommend enjoying a public fireworks display on the Fourth to guarantee your safety, those using consumer fireworks should consider these important tips.
Before you use fireworks, be sure to:
- Buy only legal fireworks
- Choose a location to display fireworks set away from the home
- Keep a hose and bucket of water ready
- Wear safety goggles
- Keep children away from all fireworks, sparklers included
During a fireworks display, be sure to:
- Soak each used device in water
- Never try to light a fireworks device twice
- Keep a safe distance during the display
- Never drink alcohol while using a fireworks device
After a fireworks display, be sure to:
- Dispose of all fireworks devices in a fireproof container
- Leave the container far from any homes or buildings
- Keep unused fireworks out of reach of children
For more detailed fireworks safety tips, we recommend that you read our Fireworks Safety Checklist.
Don't forget that Denton Regional Medical Center puts our community first by making injury prevention and treatment a priority. As Denton County's only designated trauma center, we have emergency specialists on duty and ready to assist you, day or night, every day of the year. For a physician referral, please call 1-855-477-DRMC.